Teléfono: + 58 212 201 8576
Areas of Practice
- General advice
- Multiple protection analysis
- Domain names
- Sanitary registration
- Trademarks and patents amendments
- Licenses and technology transfer
- Protection against unfair competition
The Center for American and International Law. USA. 1993
Course on General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT). USA. 1982
Boston University. 1981
Law Degree. Universidad Católica Andrés Bello. Venezuela. 1979
Maria Milagros joined HPCD in 1988, where she is the partner in charge of coordinating the intellectual property division. She previously worked at the Venezuelan Institute of Foreign Trade, gaining experience in intellectual property matters and community law. She also worked at Banco Consolidado, developing expertise in foreign exchange control and banking law.
- IP portfolio management. Presentation of domestic and foreign trademarks, patents and copyrights, including searching, filing, oppositions, cancellations and nullity actions, enforcing clients’ rights against infringers, trade dress infringements and unfair competition.
- Drafting and negotiating licenses and other trademark agreements. Advice regarding managing trademark risk in connection with brand ownership and licensing structures.
- Handling IP aspects of mergers and acquisitions.
- Counseling regarding all aspects of trademark strategy, including developing and implementing strategic approaches for ownership, authorization, protection and enforcement of global marks considering business goals, advising about enforcement, administrative and arbitrary matters involving intellectual property.
- Colegio de Abogados de Caracas [Caracas Bar Association]. Venezuela
- Venezuelan Association of Industrial Property Agents (COVAPI). Former President
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI). Alter Delegate representing Venezuela
- Venezuelan-American Chamber of Commerce (VenAmCham). Former President of the Intellectual Property Committee
- International Trademark Association (INTA). Committee member
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI). Former President of the Venezuelan Group
Maria Milagros has written numerous articles for important publications, newspapers and, particularly, for magazines specialized in Intellectual Property, such as:
- IP Value
- Getting the Deal Through
- Kluwer Law International
- World Intellectual Property Review
- Managing Intellectual Property
- Ámbito Jurídico
- El Universal
- Revista Producto
- The Legal 500. Leading Attorney in Intellectual Property. 2014, 2013.
- Best Lawyers in Intellectual Property and Chambers Latin America in Trademarks
- IPStar by Managing Intellectual Property
- Distinguished Service Award. Colegio de Abogados de Caracas [Caracas Bar Association]
- Francisco Espejo Award. Colegio de Abogados del Estado Miranda [Miranda State Bar Association].
- Palma de Chacao Award. Mayoralty of Chacao, State of Miranda, Venezuela